Monday, July 27, 2009

How often should you change your violin strings and replace your bow hair?

I don't really remember but it's probably been at least a few years since I first got my full size violin and I've never changed the strings but I have gotten a new bow. I think my orchestra teacher told me to change my strings but they seem perfectly fine to me.



What are some definite signs that show I need to change my strings or replace my bow hair? Or how often should I change both?



How often should you change your violin strings and replace your bow hair?

Your director may be hearing that your sound seems weak or out of tune.



Weak strings will lose tuning very quickly because the metal is stretched so thin after so much use. Eventually, they will wear so thin that they will break. Check your tuning every ten minutes or so while playing...you may hear what I'm talking about.



As for bow replacement, I don't know enough to give you good advice other than discussing it with your orchestra director. I do know that bows can be bogged down with rosin and have enough hairs that break, making it difficult to produce a good tone quality.



Just talk to your orchestra director!



How often should you change your violin strings and replace your bow hair?

See:



Care of Orchestral Instruments



http://beststudentviolins.com/survival.h...

No comments:

Post a Comment